Sunday, November 8, 2009

Flower Power = Fabric Petals!

I like to plan ahead. In fact, ahead is an understatement. I like to plan WAY in advance. But how do you plan ahead for flowers beyond picking them out and hoping they're in season? You make them!


I have found lots of sites and videos with how-to tutorials on making boutonnieres, centrepieces and bouquets. So why not go cotton or silk or tulle or feather or...?



Pros:
  • you can make them months (or years) before you need them
  • they don't need to be refrigerated
  • they don't make your eyes water or your nose run
  • they're always in season
  • they don't wilt or die
  • they are easier to arrange than the real thing (no breaking stems)
  • they're not traditional
  • and the list goes on...

Cons:
  • they're still not common in North America (this is a pro to everyone but my mother)
  • they are 100% a do-it-yourself (or a have-your-friends-help-you) kind of thing

Oh, I simply love them! Plus, one of my closest -- and most crafty -- friends, couturehousewife, has offered to help out as she thinks it's a fab idea too.



No comments:

Post a Comment