I like to plan ahead. In fact, ahead is an understatement. I like to plan WAY in advance. But how do you plan ahead for flowers beyond picking them out and hoping they're in season? You make them!
I have found lots of sites and videos with how-to tutorials on making boutonnieres, centrepieces and bouquets. So why not go cotton or silk or tulle or feather or...?
- you can make them months (or years) before you need them
- they don't need to be refrigerated
- they don't make your eyes water or your nose run
- they're always in season
- they don't wilt or die
- they are easier to arrange than the real thing (no breaking stems)
- they're not traditional
- and the list goes on...
- they're still not common in North America (this is a pro to everyone but my mother)
- they are 100% a do-it-yourself (or a have-your-friends-help-you) kind of thing
Oh, I simply love them! Plus, one of my closest -- and most crafty -- friends, couturehousewife, has offered to help out as she thinks it's a fab idea too.